I help build products and organizations that other people find useful. Areas with high barriers to entry and unfair access are interesting to me. I’m have worked or invested in:
- Fintech— Square and M-PESA
- End-to-end encrypted communication — WhatsApp
- Economic utilities — WhatsApp Business, Square, BukuWarung
- Access to capital — affordable loans delivered to entrepreneurs in sub-saharan Africa.
Before WhatsApp, I led and started products at Square, and at a fintech startup in sub-saharan Africa. I have lived in Kenya, India, Seattle and finally, San Francisco.
Outside work, I enjoy typography, right-bank bordeaux, and believe the Pacific Northwest is the most beautiful part of the world.
- Kellogg School of Management — on products in fintech
- California-Shanghai Innovation Dialogue – UC Irvine · UC San Diego · Fudan University
- World Bank, Consultative Group to Assist the Poor
- Indian School of Business
- Institute for Money, Technology and Financial Inclusion, University of California, Irvine
- Manny’s — a civic space in San Francisco